I am often asked, ‘Will automation be a challenge to my role?”. This question comes from the employees in the IT and BPO sectors. I counter with another- “Do you realize that automation has impacted you already?”
Think and list down every automated system that made your life easier.
- SMS reminder for a bill payment
- The fuzzy logic in your Washing machine
- Mailbox sync up the moment you connect
Are you ready to forego all of these?
Ponder the automated functions inside you- Heart beating, antibodies fighting, food digesting, and extraction of vital nutrients. When was the last time we complained about those automated processes? Even if we grumbled about indigestion to a physician, it is the case of automated system working right and we meddling with it. Our survival is centered on our understanding to co-exist with automation.
It is time to recalibrate our mindset – To perceive automation as an enabler, and not a challenge.
Even if the future throws a dagger toward you, and you can see it coming, you have 2 options – Holding it by the sharper edge or by the handle.
Preparedness for automation lowers the fear of uncertainty. www.willrobotstakemyjob.com foretells you on impact to your role.
Essentially, any advancement arrives with opportunities – for the creator, for the executor, and for the troubleshooter. An Iot (Internet of Things) device will require a team to manufacture sensors and actuators, someone to create a sales pitch, people to install, and staff to maintain and repair the devices. You require people to create an Operating System, integrate, and service it. Teams that can create the diagrams, create and review instruction manuals, typeset them, and skillful professionals to make them appealing are in demand.
The secret of change is to focus all of your energy NOT on fighting the old, but building the new
Here are two facts that bolster your optimism-
- Information Age edition estimates digital transformation spend to reach $2 trillion by 2022
- Two-thirds of IT decision-makers are unable to deliver digital projects as a result of a skills gap
Aren’t these opportunities? Relating to the IoT example, the digitally disrupted world requires the workforce in every stream to make it work. Remember, the need is not for geeks alone. It is for a broad range of existing skills. What more, IoT is merely one of the 12 emerging technologies. The possibility is immense.
Here are five simple steps to leverage –
- Step 1. Gain a fundamental appreciation of the application of these emerging technologies like Drones, Augmented Reality, Big data, IoT, etc.
- Step 2. With Google search, identify promising startups. Note the jobs and skills listed out there.
- Step 3. Think which core skill closely matches your interests, strengths and past experience (Unlock the extremely special techniques to fly high in your career with ‘Adjust Your Sails’ from ‘Father of Your Team’. Want to read this chapter for free? Mail email@example.com )
- Step 4. When you are at step 3, don’t get rattled by the fanciful names of applications, operating systems, devices, or tools. They can be learned in no time. Accelerate your learning. Most organizations will be willing to give you a try if you can demonstrate a level of hands-on and relate your past experience to their current needs. When the skill gap is an industry phenomenon, the employer would not wait for the best fit
- Step 5. Write articles on what you learned and reflect your understanding.
When you post blogs, you acquire visibility. You will gain confidence with more people willing to learn from you. You could gain a first-mover advantage.
Why did I recommend startups as your sounding board?
- Startups are agile. They fill in a current business need.
- They provide services to the major corporations and are eyed by the major corporations for acquisition. Do you know Halli Labs, a four-month-old start-up in Bengaluru was acquired by Google?
People who take unnecessary risks are those who do not take necessary risks
-Father Of Your Team
(Access your exclusive treasure of impactful quotes from www.authorvenkat.com/quotes/)
- RELAX NOW.
- Release fear
- Reset expectations
- Ready yourself for a glorious career.
Adaptation should be the easiest for the world’s most intellectually advanced species.
– Venkat Kumaresan
Author of ‘Father Of Your Team’, the World’s First Book on implementing Paternalistic leadership